A beautiful performance with subtle movements close to the way I teach the form.
Pink Lady -Helen Liang
Amin Wu's demonstration (back view)
Performance by Liang Shou Yu
Note: There are many "flavors" of the 24 form. Some postures many vary from video to video.
In my classes I take into consideration, range of motion, knee, hip, and back and balance constrictions and teach concentration on fluidity rather than perfection.
The Yang Style 24 Form
One of the most practiced forms in the world, the Yang Style simplified 24 form is a great place to start in your Tai Chi journey. Below is the list of the postures in order.
1. Beginning (step out, lift and settle)
2. Parting the Wild Horse's Mane (3 times)
3. White Crane Spreads its Wings
4. Brush Knee and Side Step (3 times)
5. Play the Lute (also called play guitar, strum the lute, pipa
6. Step Back and Repulse Monkey (4 times)
7. Grasp the Sparrow's Tail - left
8. Grasp the Sparrow's Tail - right
9. Single Whip
10. Wave Hands Like Clouds (3 times)
11. Single Whip
12. High Pat on Horse (pat the horse)
13. Kick With Right Heel
14. Strike Ears With Fists
15. Kick With Left Heel
16. Snake Creeps Down (left) & Golden Rooster Stands on left leg
17. Snake Creeps Down (right) & Golden Rooster stands on right leg
18. Fair Lady Weaves the Shuttle (right and left)
19. Needle at the Bottom of the Sea
20. Fan through Back
21. Deflect Downwards, Parry and Punch
22. Apparent Close Up (roll back, push, rotate to front)
23. Cross Hands
24. Closing Form (stepping in with left foot)
These postures can be learned in a fair amount of time. However, can take a lifetime to master. Even as your teacher, I am continuing to improve on my form. Thus my mantra, teach what you know and continue to grow. In my class, flow, breath, and balance are priority. Have fun and laugh!